Friday, November 27, 2009

Chapter VI. Watering the Seeds

SCRIBBLERS
By Gracie Prior
CHAPTER VI. WATERING THE SEEDS
(In our last story, Jimmy had just come up with a great new story idea for the Scribblers writing group.)
In her pink gingham bedroom with a matching bedspread and canopy, Mary sat on a Chintz covered chair and picked up her diary. She had kept one since about third grade when her teacher, Mrs. Wright, taught the class how to put thoughts and everyday occurrences on paper.
September 1958
Dear Louisa,
I am supposed to meet with Butch, Terry, and Jimmy today for our meeting of the Scribblers Society. When they asked me to join, it was so sudden, so unexpected. Here in front of me are three boys and they want me or at the very least something about me. Jimmy has written a one-act play about a heroine named Congruent, who is wild and free. She lives in the desert and has a secret mission. I think I'm going to like playing her. Her helper is a little Silly and not very smart. Jimmy will probably play the part. It seems like Jimmy. We are going over the script today and blocking our the action. This will be our fall play and then Jimmy wants to see if we can turn the play into a book. I like that idea. We're all getting along so far. Butch McNeil is cute. I think he has a thing for me. Terry Raymond is the cool one, and I don't think he likes girls yet. Too bad. Well, the boys are all friendly and they all love to write, so I am content. I'll sign off now. Your loving Mary.
* * *
Mary entered Butch's house from the back porch. The group sat around the couch. There was one spot left for Mary. Sitting in the corner was a chair and a television console, the only other furniture. Butch's Mom was irioning in the adjoining room. She had a huge pile of laundry and showed no signs of leaving.
Mary, always the bold one, noticed the lack of privacy and asked, "Can't we work in the basement?"
"It's a mess down there. Mom doesn't want us to go down. This is fine."
Mrs. McNeil smiled at them over a huge shirt she was holding up.
Terry began, "Jimmy, it's obvious that you and Mary are the leads in this play. I have typed the scripts for you on Dad's Royal, and you can read them over. I'll coach you, Mary, and Butch can coach Jimmy."
Terry passed out the scripts and Mary and Jimmy looked them over. "What's this about a yummy?" Mary asked. "I don't understand about that."
"I think it is pretty well explained," Jimmy said. "It is simply a fruit of which you are unfamiliar my dear Mary."
"Let's start." Terry said. "Jimmy, you are talking to the horse about your quest when he loses a shoe and you are forced to stop in the desert. Start with 'Aaron sits down and ponders what to do.'"
Jimmy sat down and started, "The sun is getting higher in the sky and we are stuck. (Jimmy started to cry as the script indicated.) "Why, oh why, was I ever chosen?" Jimmy lay against a pretend rock and slept.
Mary strode confidently over to Jimmy, looked down at him, put her hands on her hips and said, "Humph, what have we here?"
Mary and Jimmy read through the entire play, which was quite short, blocking out the movements as they went along.
"Good read through," Terry said. "I think there is real grit between you two. You guys did good."
"I like the idea of making this into a book," Mary said.
"What? Whose idea was that?" asked Terry.
"Jimmy's," Mary said. "I thought you all knew."
"Well, we didn't all knew." Butch said. "Jimmy, you're holding out on us."
Jimmy blushed and said, "I only just thought of it, really. Ideas kept coming to me and I wanted to do more with it. What do you think?"
"I think you're getting a little too big for your britches. That's what I think. You have so many ideas (Butch rolled his eyes and blinked his lashes.) This is a writing club. We all have ideas. That's what we're here for."
Terry caught Butch's eye and nodded at his mom. "Let's do the play the best we can," Terry said. "Then, if the crowd loves it, we'll put off plays for a bit and all try writing the book. O.K?"
Butch's Mom looked up from her ironing, wiped her brow and said, "Butchie, you need to go outside and play ball or ride your bike. I don't like to see you spend all your time indoors."
"Yeah, O.K., Mom. The group is leaving and then I'll ride my bike." He looked around. "You guys want to join me?"
"I do," Mary said. "Wait here and I'll go and get my bike." She left and ran down to her house at the end of the street. When she got there, an unknown car was in Mary Brewster's driveway and she went inside to investigate.
(Whose car is in Mary's driveway? Next time, here on Friday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment